HYam association launches the 2nd edition of the HYam Prize, dedicated to the moroccan art scene
Following the first edition dedicated to the Greek-cypriot scene, The HYam association chose to highlight the young moroccan art scene and have made a point of focusing on the mediterranean part thanks to three high points in Greece and in Paris.
The HYam association has invited eight artists younger than 36 years old to take part in the HYam Prize and to submit a file to an international committee in charge of electing the laureate. This one will have the opportunity to to install a piece of art in the Hydra public space before a one month residency on the island. During his/her stay, the laureate will be in a position to set up a new project which could be inspired by the specific character of Hydra.
Historically in constant dialogue with France, Morocco is one of the greatest embodiments of the mediterranean richness. This country which is undergoing a great evolution whether it be by its government, its economy or its culture, builds up a bridge between the North and the South. It is a land that will allow the coexistence of different cultures where the creation is diverse and blooming.
8 artists nominated for the 2nd edition of the Hyam Prize :
- Zainab Andilabe
- Salim Bayri
- Abdessamad El Montassir
- Soukaina Joual
- Mehdi-Georges Lahlou
- Lina Laraki
- Nissrine Seffar
- Abdelaziz Zerrou
Chaired by François Tajan, co-president of Artcurial and partner of HYam, the committee 2018 is composed of :
- Xenia Geroulanou, director at Thaddaeus Ropac Gallery, Paris,
- Anaël Pigeat, editor in chief, Art Press magazine,
- Philippe Riss-Schmidt, curator and founder of Hyperpavilion (Venice biennale 2017),
- Bérénice Saliou, artistic director of the ICI (Institute of Islam Cultures),
- Emmanuel Saulnier, artist and professor at the Fine Art School of Paris,
- Meyem Sebti, editorial director and managing editor, Diptyk Magazine, partner of the event,
- Alexis Veroucas, artist and collector
- May 2018 Announcement of the laureate, Artcurial, Paris
The committee meeting in Paris and the announcement of the HYam Prize recipient
- July 2018 Installation, Hydra, Greece
The two months exhibition of the laureate’s piece of art installed in the Hydra public space with the support of the HYam association.
- September 2018 Residency, Hydra, Greece
The one month residency with the purpose of setting up a new project which could be inspired by the character and the history of the island
- December 2018 Round table, Artcurial, Paris
The laureate will get the opportunity to present his/her work and Hydra project at a round table having to do with the Moroccan contemporary art scene.
Photo : The lighthouse of Hydra © DR